The little Botanical Garden of the Jagiellonian University is situated close to the heart of Kraków, a ten-minute walk from the Main Market Square and the Main Railway Station. It is Poland’s oldest botanical garden, as it has been accessible for nearly 250 years (since 1783). Besides the walking area with a little pond and lanes running among trees and shrubs, it features greenhouses. The oldest is “Victoria”, whose name comes from the victoria amazonica water lilies cultivated there. The “Jubilee” palm house and the complex of tropical greenhouses let the visitor admire a collection of around 50 species of palms, carnivorous plants, tropical cultivable plants, biblical plants, and Poland’s oldest collection of sago palms. Aficionados of the mountains are welcome to admire the flora of the Alps, Carpathians, and Caucasus. The largest section of the Kraków garden is the arboretum, which gathers over 1000 species of trees and shrubs.
Also situated on the premises is the Botanical Museum, open on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10am to 2pm, and on Sundays from 11am to 3pm (in season, when the garden is open).
The Botanical Garden is only open to visitors only from mid-April to mid-October. In winter, only visits in connection with exhibitions and lectures are possible.
Tickets PLN 9/5, family PLN 25